Facemask MAF 1* Prototype
Multipurpose Adjustable Facemask
What is the Facemask
The concept was born out of a discussion surrounding facemasks; the lack of availability and the high-cost, long production/delivery times. This was coupled with the concern of false and unreliable masks which were not actually for sale.
We realised that setting up manufacturing and sourcing the raw materials for the masks would take a huge effort, a long time, and was not feasible in the current climate.
We therefore set about making the MAF1, named in dedication to Mia, Amelie and Finley, it was to be based upon one of the most widely available filtration materials – the humble coffee filter. We wanted to create something which was easy to replicate, fast to print, and used as little material as possible. Not to mention could ultimately be available to everyone through the online distribution of source files.
How does it work
The MAF1 is made up of two parts, an inner part honeycomb, and an outer part honeycomb structure. It is lightweight – less than 10 grams – can be posted in a standard A5 letter and can easily be assembled without tools.
We have put together a little Blue Peter style video on how to assemble the mash.
- Coffee filter size
- Wide availability of filter material
- Better droplet catcher than fabric materials
- Interchangeable filter – better hygiene
- Honeycomb structure which gives it strength
- Affordable (average filter cost less than 2 pence)
- Easy to mass produce
- Little material use
- Light weight – less than 10 grams
- Easy to keep clean with hot water & soap
- Usable with different filtration materials
- Coffee filter, paper kitchen towel, fabric or premium filter
- Ergonomic design and easy to wear
- Size adjustable
Create your own mask
Feel free to download the prototype STL Files as a basis or as inspiration for your own masks.
If you have the capability to test print your prototype, STL files can be used to directly feed them to your 3D printer.
STP files are available to continue our work and build your own mask design.
* The StopTheDrop-Initiative c/o Jones AV Ltd. declines all responsibilities regarding use and application.